[SAHS] ANN: The Southern African History Book Prize - Shortlist

Prinisha Badassy Prinisha.Badassy at wits.ac.za
Fri Jun 21 08:24:37 SAST 2024

[cid:image001.jpg at 01DAC3B4.46FFCDB0]

Dear SAHS colleagues

The SAHS/HASA Book Prize Committee is most pleased to announce the shortlist for the inaugural 'The Southern African History Book Prize.' This prize recognizes the best scholarly history publication in book form, published by a southern African-based press, and of scholarly and academic merit as recognized by peers.
We received numerous high-quality submissions that offered original research with fresh insights and interpretations, making the shortlisting process highly competitive and spirited. We are grateful to all the publishers and authors for their contributions and are delighted to present the following shortlisted books, which exemplify cogency of writing, breadth of historical sources, novelty of insights, and significant contributions to Southern African historiography:

  *   History of South Africa: From 1902 to the Present by Thula Simpson
  *   Dear Comrade President: Oliver Tambo and the Foundations of South Africa's Constitution by Andre Odendaal
  *   Convening Black Intimacy: Christianity, Gender and Tradition in Early-Twentieth Century South Africa by Natasha Erlank
  *   Marikana: A People's History by Julian Brown
The prize will be awarded during the 29th SAHS conference at the University of Johannesburg in June 2024. We extend our congratulations to the shortlisted authors and their publishers and look forward to celebrating their achievements at the conference.

With best wishes,

SAHS/HASA Book Prize Committee

Prinisha Badassy

Laura Phillips

Julie Parle

Thembisa Waetjen

Ian Macqueen

Laura Efron

This communication is intended for the addressee only. It is confidential. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately and destroy the original message. You may not copy or disseminate this communication without the permission of the University. Only authorised signatories are competent to enter into agreements on behalf of the University and recipients are thus advised that the content of this message may not be legally binding on the University and may contain the personal views and opinions of the author, which are not necessarily the views and opinions of The University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg. All agreements between the University and outsiders are subject to South African Law unless the University agrees in writing to the contrary.