[Sugarman] Round 1

Keith Breckenridge keith at breckenridge.org.za
Thu Jun 6 09:58:16 SAST 2013

Dear all,

I've put a table of people's responses to that first call of interests at
http://wiser.wits.ac.za/content/collaboration-planning-10860 (if, as I
fear, I've missed someone off that table, please just let me know and I'll
edit it).   I've had some responses off list, including from David Cohen
whose subversive participation will be critical.

Looking at this list of responses, and the large amounts of money we have
for travel and accommodation, I think that we should begin with "Writing
Theory from the South."  This is the problem that attracts the most
interest and it will set up a theme for the whole collaboration.   If we
bring all the Michigan people who have an interest in this we will still
have funds for two more people (which is a bit sobering).   This meeting
will also give us a good quorum to do some long-term planning.

I think that the primary goal of this meeting should be for the production
of a journal special issue.

*My suggestion is that we do this from February 28th to March 12th* -- with
the main business in the week of the Michigan Spring Break (March 1 to
March 9).   *Please reserve that time.*  For those who can stay a bit
longer, I think that we will go to Wits's facility in the Lowveld (it'll be
very hot and feverish, but also give us a chance to think about rural
themes and problems that are not obvious in Joburg, and also to visit
Kruger).

I hope that's acceptable, but if you'd prefer to do something else, do let
me know.

I will start working with Achille on a bibliography.   *The important
thing, now, would be for people on this list to begin thinking about pieces
of writing that they might want to present during the workshop.*  It would
be good, too, to think of other individuals who would be useful to have
attend the meetings -- this could be senior people, or graduate students.

Please do respond to the list with your thoughts on this, especially for
suggestions for key readings.

My thanks, Keith

--
Keith Breckenridge  *W I S E R* - The Wits Institute for Social and
Economic Research, University of the Witwatersrand | Pbag 3, PO Wits,