[Sugarman] Getting started

Gabrielle Hecht hechtg at umich.edu
Mon May 27 10:48:43 SAST 2013

It appears that we're having some trouble with the list -- some people seem to have seen my post, others not. So here it is again, with apologies to those who did see it the first time.

---

Thanks for launching us, Keith!

I am most centrally interested in the following themes:
	• Cultural studies of science and technology in Africa (which of course also include cultural politics of sci & tech)
	• Public spaces, informality and infrastructures in the desegregating city
	•  The politics of literacy, legibility and expert knowledges in Africa
But would also be intrigued by workshops addressing the following:
	• Interrogating Neoliberalism as idea and explanation
	• The Global South as an idea and a source of theory
	• The perils and possibilities of the digital humanities in Africa
	• Narrative, visual forms and biopolitics in the medical humanities
Best
Gabrielle