[Sugarman] Outcomes--Global South as an Idea | Detroit-Jo'burg as a Paradoxical Pair

Catherine Burns burns at breckenridge.org.za
Thu Jun 5 06:11:34 SAST 2014

Thanks to Nancy and hello all,

The Jhb part of this engagement could well draw on emerging and well established health and medical ethnographies of Joburg, linking our work to central themes of African Migration and Wits people in Sociology (Lorena Nunez and others), Anthropology (Nolwazi Mkhwanazi and co), and Visual Arts, History, Public Health, Demography, Community Health, Health Economics, and Family Medicine here at Wits.

An event at Wiser last night on migrancy and health as well as an exhibition many of you saw at WAM (Wits Art Museum) provoked rich ideas.

A current Wiser linked Medical Humanities project on tissues, transplants, transfusion in Jhb works with artists, nephrologists, haematologists, nurses, therapists, anatomists, cultural and social theorists, religious analysts, psychologists and literary theorists on board. Here I think that the way people in Detroit face and respond to health and medical rights and aspirations in the face of food and social vulnerability, rising hypertension and kidney diseases, addictions and dependencies, STIs, depression, child health, could chime with work on this project in and around Jhb. Entities like Wits Medical School, Hillbrow Day Maternity Clinic, innovative city health centres for young men, Chiawelo Community Centre and so on can be examined as centres of social and medical expertise in the entire region, and can be juxtaposed with crumbling and poorly run sister institutions, some of them minutes away from each other.  We imagine Detroit-Ann Arbor will have similar uneven geographies of health, medicine and healing.

Like Nancy I welcome Witsies on this list from Media, Politics, Philosophy, CISA, Music, and Film,  to expand, shape, work with this theme.

Warmest wishes,
Cath