[Sugarman] Urban Workshop

Sharad Chari Sharad.Chari at wits.ac.za
Sun Nov 2 15:12:37 SAST 2014

Thanks Claudia -

The write-up looks great. I'd like to write a paper that reconsiders recent received wisdom in urban studies with respect to Graham and Marvin's 'splintering urbanism' by drawing on a black radical tradition that has seen the possibility of a city for all as a promise and demand rather than anything empirically existent, particularly as seen from 20thc SA cities. In other words, the category 'splintering' might rather be conceived of in terms of the actual concrete abstractions of 'segregation'/'desegregation.'  I'm afraid I'm going to have to go after the race blindness of my own tribe of radical geographers in the process (following my former student Andrea Gibbons' absolutely brilliant work on Los Angeles.)

Gabrielle/Paul, I wrote this on the doodle page, but it would be vital for you both to come, with Prof Luka. We can babysit him while you profess, or you can profess in turn. The last week of June is the Antipode Institute for Geographies of Justice (again - anyone interested, please contact me or Danai on this list, it's for advanced postgrads and for faculty/postdocs within 5 yrs of their PhDs), and it's followed into the first two weeks of July by JWTC. And the fourth week of July is a CISA conference that Isabel Hofmeyr and I are organising called 'Indian Ocean Energies.' So that period is going to be hectic.  Keith's suggestions of doing it early in the year are probably the best!

Cheers,
Sharad

SHARAD CHARI
Associate Professor                       University of the Witwatersrand
Centre for Indian Studies in Africa and Department of Anthropology
36 Jorissen Street | Private Bag 3 | Wits 2050 | Johannesburg | RSA
+27.11.717.4128 | sharad.chari at wits.ac.za | www.cisa-wits.org.za