[Sugarman] Urban Workshop proposal

David Bunn David.Bunn at wits.ac.za
Wed Oct 29 18:51:14 SAST 2014

Dear Claudia,

                   Thanks for sending out the draft proposal. If at all possible, I'd like to chat to all of you about the possibility of articulating some of these discussions with the work that is taking place through the Knowledge Hub for Rural Development at Wits Rural Facility. Most especially, I think you would be interested in the projects we have on retheorising rural-urban gradients, comparatively, across sites in the US (Baltimore, and elsewhere) and China, projects led by my wife, urban ecologist Melissa McHale.

We are working mainly from the perspective of social-ecological systems, and mainly with urban ecologists. Two of the most influential thinkers in the field will be at Wits Rural next year, but also giving keynote presentations on the main campus. One of them, Steward Pickett, head of the Ecological Society of America and the Baltimore Long Term Ecological Research site, is very well known of course.

I have some additional comments on your draft proposal but will send those under separate cover.

Best wishes,

David Bunn