[Sugarman] Performance Arts and Political Action workshop

Derek Peterson drpeters at umich.edu
Fri Jun 16 15:10:15 SAST 2017

Dear Sugarman-ians:

I thought you might like to have news of what’s happening under the ‘Rethinking the Humanities’ collaboration between Michigan and WiSER at Wits.

The next workshop is to be held next week—from 22 to 29 June—in the Magaliesburg on the theme ‘Performance Arts and Political Action’. It’s been organised by Naomi André, Judy Irvine and Kelly Askew here at UM; and by Brenda Mhlami, Neo Muyanga, and Donato Somma from Wits, together with Liz Gunner from UJ. I have attached the programme + position paper here. To me it looks an exceptionally interesting occasion.

The following workshop will be entitled ‘Decolonizing Sites of Culture in Africa and Beyond’. It’ll be held in Ann Arbor between 20 and 22 November this year. There is a draft paper about the workshop that the organisers are currently editing; more details will be forthcoming shortly.

With good wishes,

Derek Peterson

---
Dr. Derek R. Peterson