[Sugarman] Minutes of Wits Meeting : 21 November 2013

Mehita Iqani Mehita.Iqani at wits.ac.za
Thu Nov 21 14:56:00 SAST 2013

Thanks to Keith for the summary and to everyone for the meeting earlier.

My two-cents: I work on "consumer culture and the media" and would be keen to get involved in the "interrogating neoliberalism" theme from that perspective. The journal I mentioned is 'Consumption, Markets & Culture', which is an interdisciplinary, not a media studies, journal. I've already discussed with the editor a potential special issue on media and consumption in/and the global south, so there is some possibility for dovetailing Sugarman activities into that possibility later on. Definitely not next year though, I think 2015 would be more realistic. I also mentioned that there might be an opportunity to dovetail a workshop (again, in 2015?) on the Neoliberalism theme with work done by the Critical Research in Consumer Culture network, which held a South-South Consumption Studies Workshop this year at Wits (and there might be a follow up in Sao Paulo in 2014).

All the best

Mehita