[Sugarman] Save the date for 2016 workshops on STS and Toxicity

Gabrielle Hecht hechtg at umich.edu
Thu Jan 29 20:55:42 SAST 2015

Dear colleagues,

In an effort to give everyone enough time to plan, we have set the date for the 2016 Mellon/WiSER/UM workshops on STS and on Toxicity, Waste, and Detritus. These will be held in South Africa (probably Joburg, but maybe Durban) from July 7 to 14, 2016. We're likely to do Toxicity July 7 & 8, and STS July 11-14, with a free weekend in between.  We thought it made sense to hold these back-to-back because we anticipate (but by no means require!) substantial overlap in the participants for the two workshops.

Note that this is a change from previously made plans. Most notably, we'd originally thought about piggybacking Toxicity onto the Nov. 2015 workshop in Ann Arbor, but there ended up being too many date conflicts with professional society meetings. We'd also first planned to have STS in June 2016, but a conflict arose there too. So if you'd already marked your calendars, please change them accordingly!

In the fullness of time, we'll issue separate calls for each workshop. (Of course, Toxicity already has a set of abstracts posted here. Pamila and I will send a follow-up email in due course.)

Best,
Gabrielle

Gabrielle Hecht
Professor of History, University of Michigan
Director, Program in Science, Technology, and Society | @MichiganSTS
@GabrielleHecht